Pages

Sunday, 13 March 2016

Clopening

So here I am Sunday night doing some back ground reading for my MBA because that's the way I roll OK.  Scanning the Harvard Business Review, cos I am so well read, I came across an article on Starbucks and their practice of clopening.
What on earth is clopening I thought?
So type in the phrase to twitter and I'm astounded really. This is up there with zero contract hours. The practice of closing one shift but being expected to be there to open the next. I watched my son do this last year when he was working for a well known local bar group, award winning too. They serve expensive drinks by staff who are on zero contract hours and victims of clopening. Sometimes he would get home at 4 or 5 am and be back on at 11am. When he complained he lost is shifts.

Why do we treat people like this?
I don't think this rant is over. I feel a letter coming on!

2 comments:

  1. I have employed people in small businesses that I have owned and I think that zero hours contracts are just flat wrong. I'd never heard of clopening either but it sounds just as bad. WTF is wrong with the world just now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adventures in reality, my thoughts exactly! Where will this end. Employers who practice clopening should be penalised

      Delete