Pages

Saturday, 8 March 2014

Work wear

I need clothes for work. I do. I do not enjoy buying clothes for work. I always seem to get it wrong and look like I'm about to meet world leaders. Suits suits me best because you can hide behind them, they require little thought when putting on, but they feel so formal, too formal, not mention more expensive. Always one for a bargain I will scour the rails from Tesco to House of Fraser and even my local charity shops. Benetton used to be my Go To shop when in need of smartish attire my nearest has closed down besides it's lost its appeal. 
Dresses are also good but I feel naked without a jacket. Plus I tend to look at them and think I can make that. Only I can't it's just delusional thinking. 
As for shoes my latest Miss KG acquisition of high suede heels are not as comfortable as I thought in the shop. I think age is creeping up on me again and is secretly guiding me towards a nice comfortable pair of mid heels. I am breaking out in a sweat just thinking about it. 
A style point of reference for me is one  of 2 choices. I love the style of the Dutch women. ( not mention the fact they all seem about 5" taller than me ) So cool and chilled yet sophisticated. Ready for work or to hop on a bike at any time. Or there is my good friend Meldy, ( Imelda Marcos) thus nicknamed for her vast shoe collection. Always immaculately dressed for any occasion and can oft be heard saying " I got this in the Tesco sale " whilst looking like million dollars.
I've never been a lover of Next or M&S but I'm getting desperate and may have to step over their threshold. My stint with a personal shopper last year may have got my groove back in one way but it's paralysed me in others. Plus I have to point out I don't like spending my money on having to look good for work anymore. Saying that as a keen supporter of the relative theory of shopping, it's not how much it is but how often you wear it, I can be persuaded. Scouring the internet last night I flitted from Asos to La Redoute to French Connection like a butterfly in search of the perfect flower. 

Help me good ladies of t'interweb. Where do you shop what's your style? 

4 comments:

  1. Having spent my early days in Naval uniform, greasy overalls and safety boots I'm afraid I'm as much use as a chocolate teaspoon. Skirts, flat boots and comfy knitwear is my style. Oh and as you know, Crocs! Says it all really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a grey suit with spare skirt which cost under £50 from ... wait for it ... Matalan! it is surprisingly nicely cut and goes well with their white blouses, one of which I dyed pale pink to break the monotony, I wear various silk scarves with this outfit - my other work outfits are two chiffon drop waist dresses, one navy the other navy/white floral both about £35 each from Next and finally a pair of navy court shoes, it all works well as I hate making decisions in the morning and/or 'standing out'. I also don't like spending much. I am longing for Matalan to make the same suit in Navy. My son bought a suit from them for his Uni interview and, again, surprisingly well cut. Hope this helps - Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOH I am so with you, it's really hard isn't it? John Lewis have a free personal shopping service and have loads of brands. I miss Kew, I really liked their stuff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just a high street, what's-on-sale kinda gal. I don't have a job that dictates appearance so often it's straight from the ironing pile and out the door. I do scrub up well, however!

    ReplyDelete