Pages

Monday, 4 February 2013

Ode to habitat

This is not a sponsored post but if it was you could pay me in furniture.

My home insurance has just been up for renewal. Unfortunately it is right after Christmas and I always leave it to the last minute to shop around. I knew I was in a golden handcuffs situation with contents being over insured - but that's a good thing right? Needless to say that particular policy no longer exists at that price as it was a gift horse  I decided however to actually go through my home room by room and list everything and put a replacement value value to it so next time I have a better understanding of my true worth should we be hit by a storm/tidalwave/flood etc. Not only that, I did it on a spreadsheet. With formulas and everything.And saved it! Grown up and responsible or what?



My love for Habitat stared as a child in the 70's and it grew up with me. Both parents had many items in their respective homes and I have particular fondness for the crockery my mother had. My sister and I used to go into our local store and stroke the towels and generally coo over all sorts of gorgeous items. The velvet sofa caught our eye but having small children sensibility prevailed.

As I went through the house room by room each one holds a habitat item and so many memories with them. The giant black leather sofa I bought as my first major purchase over 20 years ago filled my home with a luscious leather smell for months. Since recovered they still are the most comfortable sofas ever but I fear the frames may be on their last legs from decades of bums and bouncing kids.

From bed linen to beakers I think I should have taken out shares. I miss Habitat from our high street, I was saddened when it moved to out of town shopping centres and even more so when it shut down. You cant stroke a giant bath sheet on the internet or test out the comfy factor of their furniture.Habitat helped make my house into a home.

the glass
the table the glasses the placemat the crockery etc and 3 cousins nearly 10 years ago


table and one of the sofa in the distance

plenty of habitatedecorations on here

No comments:

Post a Comment