Pages

Sunday, 22 July 2012

Tainted Love

So there we are meeting an old friend for dinner straight after work. An old male friend who is old. Just friends. We found a restaurant. I say found because neither of us go out very much and me even less so in the big city that I work in. We were overwhelmed with the choice; all chains all claiming to be different but all looking remarkably similar. Spoilt with choice we plumped for nearest one. Now this post is not a restaurant review but given my training and background I cant ignore it; it was dire. I wont name names but you really need to get you act to gather from service through to food quality. And why would you want to name your chain after a long necked leaf eating safari wandering beast anyway?

However sat as we were, chin waging, over mediocre food I kept looking around at the bright young things as you do. Only on closer examination there weren't many bright young things but more older desperate things. It got worse when you left the restaurant. At 8:30pm the night is yet young but not those prowling on its' streets.It's full of scary people. Groups of men leering at you, they may as well have had their tongue out and rubbing their thighs a la Vic Reeves.

Middle aged women done up to the 9's or even 9:30's responding to said leering in a giggly girlie fashion. Flashing way too much flesh for a Thursday evening. Letching at every young male daring to meander pass. This isn't dating. This is being "up for it" of a whole new level.We are almost at the point where men, and women alike, will be dragging their victims off over their shoulder Cave man like.Or grabbing a la Big Fat Gypsy wedding. It felt like I had inadvertently stumbled into massive speed dating city wide exercise. It was vile. "Take me out" has landed on our streets. Is this what it's like across the land? Do our cities become some mass dating scene with everyone being extremely overt in their attempts to attract the opposite sex. Where are the subtleties, the discreetness. I'm not a prude but recently I find myself really shocked at was has become acceptable behaviour between the sexes. And don't get me started on cinema ratings and the post 9pm watershed. I still haven't got over Christina Aguilera shaking her naked arse in chaps on a children's Saturday morning TV programme many years ago. Maybe this outrage comes hand in hand watching my own children growing up and coming to terms with what is or isn't acceptable. Displays of explicit sexual gratification, bad language and violence should be policed and restricted a little more strictly than they are at present.Oh my god I've turned into Mary Whitehouse!

2 comments:

  1. Heh heh heh - as another who barely walks the streets of town - all proper like - I can relate a little to what you say!

    I must admit, I can be too prudish for my own good but I also admit that I can and do watch episodes of The Inbetweeners with the kids in presence, and not a squirm of awkward red omitting from their faces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helena - I just sometimes feel we are on a slippery slope downwards

    ReplyDelete