Pages

Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Giant Cushions, Chickens & Sharp Corners

I love my niece (the big one too but this blog is about littlies ) and my nephew to bits. From time to time I get to keep them all to myself. Even though they are in bed at a reasonable hour I am exhausted for a full 24 hours afterwards. We had a recent unexpected sleep over that had us doing all sorts of things as usual. They clearly have a list of expectations when they come to stay solo and even though their stay wasn't as long as usual they still tried to cram the same amount of stuff in.


First all the toys out of the garage that I keep in the special box. I try and put something new in there for them to discover each time. This time they  found the DUCK & CHICKEN!


video






A lot of plastic army men then form battles across the entire ground floor of which I inevitably stand on one and we have a man down. Like every Toy Story viewer knows a soldier never leaves a good man behind.
Then we have the are the GIANT cushions. 5 year old nephew goes hunting, piling them at the bottom of the stairs taking care to leave all sharp corners uncovered and possible obstacles to avoid in full view. He then starts jumping from the bottom step, the next step and so on. At the last look he sneaked to step 9 when I wasn't looking but his sister dobbed in him, she of the "I only go to the 5th step auntie K"


Baking is always on the list so this time it was helping me make tea. Cheese souffle to be precise. I do hope when they show Mum & Dad how to check the egg whites are ready by holding the whipped whites in a bowl over their head that they are, er, actually ready.













If Dr Who season is in full swing then that's allowed. There was much hiding behind the cushions from the 7 year old niece and nephew was oblivious. 


He chooses the same bed time story every time he comes. The Story of the Little Mole who knew it was none of his Business by Werner Holzwarth/Wolf Erlbruch and Clark the Toothless Shark by Corinne Mellor. She will find as many books as possible to read. Bedtime is called and I relax into a pint of wine
Morning arrives abut 2 hours earlier than I am used to and we are in the park before 9am. We come back for homemade pancakes before doing stuff with big cousins/ aka as the 2 teens with the wee ones in awe as we go. Neice watched wistfully as She-ra cantered around the arenea on a lovely horse. Nephew jumped off the mounting block before feeding the horses. I counted his fingers and they were all there. Then it was to rugby to watch He-man where mum and dad were waiting, hangover in evidence. Nephew learnt some choice phrases from the big lads as we watched the full body contact on the pitch. You just know that those phrases will appear at the most inopportune moment


I would just like to add on my watch that my kamikazee nephew  managed to avoid any major disaster involving a trip to A&;E. He saved that until he got home and cracked the back of his head open invovling ltos of blood and rasied eyebrows at A&E when the doctors saw he was a frequent visitor. *ahem





5 comments:

  1. Brilliant. Don't ever let them bring duck and chicken home ... not like Beavergate.

    Will have to get them to make me a souffle tomorrow.

    They love coming to stay with you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were my auntie - that souffle looks gorgeous. And we could share the pint of wine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura - Love having them.
    Fenngirl - I will be your auntie too. The cushions are great fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure there would be wine sharing. You might have to BYOB

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just watched the chicken video, it was strangely pleasing.......................
    sounds like you did your Auntie duties like a seasoned pro...and everyone had fun.

    ReplyDelete