Pages

Thursday, 7 July 2011

Square sausage

If you are Scottish you will immediately identify with the terms square sausage. Coming from the wrong side of the border this was a delicacy little known to me. At the most recent Egg Roll, my good Scottish friend came positively armed with mountains of the stuff. If I had needed to fashion a garden wall that weekend I now had the ready tools. I have managed to use it on fry up Sundays when we need to soak up the contents of our stomachs. most recently this Sunday much to the horror of brother in law who complained that his VGScottish friend also swears by the stuff. With packets now loitering in the fridge having already been defrosted I was left with a dilemma. Do I now make the sodding garden wall with it or do we fashion it into something else? I give you Sausage pasta Sauce - bastard son of a Jamie Oliver Recipe

bunch of Spring onions
a carrot - not a bendy one like always find in the bottom of my fridge
2 red chillies fresh ones - I keep mine in the freezer cos they last longer. I am addicted to them
4 square sausages or more depending how need to use up * cough or much you have
1 tsp fennel seeds
handful of fresh oregano
Pasta of choice
4 cloves of garlic - crushed
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 x 400g tin or box chopped tomatoes
bit of basil
Boccatini or mini mozzarella to you and me

Whiz your prepared Spring onions, carrots and chilli in the food processor. Add the Sausage, fennel and oregeno. Pulse till well mixed. Add mixture to a hot frying pan with a glug of olive oil. Keep breaking it up. Add your garlic, then your balsamic and tomatoes. Cook off. just before serving sink mozzarella into mixture

Cook and prepare your pasta and mix together.

This has been declared as officially yum by chief tasters and the reputation of Square Sausage has been saved. No pictures as it doesn't score high on the visual stakes. I shall be sending the recipe due north with my youngest when she goes to visit Auntie C this summer. She'll be in for a wee treat.

1 comment:

  1. hmm, no picture? one of those meals best eaten in the dark as a midnight feast perhaps? it sounds nice - makes me think of that restaurant somewhere where it is dark and you have to eat the food without seeing it to awaken your other senses!

    ReplyDelete