Pages

Tuesday, 20 July 2010

A Brief History of the Dead

The Gallery: Every Wednesday

The Gallery entry

What a toughie this was. A novel idea!A photo to illustrate your favourite book or children's tale etc. Well if I had a bit more time on my hand I would have loved to have illustrated a children's' story,most likely Roald Dahl, but here goes...

My favourite book from the last couple of years has been A Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier. I think it is a book you will either love or hate. The cover reads;

" Imagine a place between heaven and earth. A city where everyone ends up after they die. This city looks like any other, with trees and houses and newspapers, where people work, drink coffee and fall in love. And here they remain alive by the memories of those left behind on earth."

Ok so how I do I illustrate this? I did think to go to the grave yard on one of my favourite walks as I know that there are gravestones of children who had a brief life. A bit morbid I know and no time to do it. So call me sentimental but I think about my mother everyday since she died 22 years ago. She has never met my children and their only knowledge of her is a couple of photos ( I don't have many ) and what ever I can remember ( I have a bad memory ) so they have a brief history of her. If such a place exists then it would mean I would get to meet my mother one more time as long as there was someone else left on earth with a memory. And I would get to tell her how much I love and miss her.




11 comments:

  1. Ye gads, that is just lovely. Nothing wrong with thinking of your mother every day. Just really glad you shared it with us x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, lovely. I think I gave you that book, I couldn't get into it.

    Love you little big sis. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is so lovely! Sad but lovely. This is the one post that made me weep this week! It makes me want to read the book... L.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big big hugs. This was even more poignant today for me because my sister miscarried at 36 weeks and I am heartbroken.

    It is so lovely how you think of your mother every day.

    Lots of hugs.

    I don't know if this poem I wrote will be any comfort to you but just in case.

    http://www.newdaynewlesson.com/?p=3775#comments

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely lovely post! Wow. How very special. Sorry that you miss your mum so much, but sounds like she was very special!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the others have already said it all! A really lovely post, and such a great tribute to your mum.
    (P.S. I've not come across the book before - am adding it to my list of ones to read!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely bit of deep stuff from you - thanks for sharing. Betty x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The thought and emotion that has gone into this shine out....such a lovely post/picture

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all your lovely comments. If you do read the book I hope you enjoy it. I found it quite funny.

    That pic was taken the day after I had arrived back in the UK from 6 months away being a dogsbody( au pair ). There is a photo of me somewhere kicking about sat on same step, all very carefree and no idea that 18m later she would be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lancastrian friend23 July 2010 at 12:27

    I still miss my dad 21 years on.
    Your Mum would be so proud of you and the kids.
    XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks Lancastrian friend I think your dad would be proud of you and yours too

    ReplyDelete